4 best home mixers 2021
How to choose a mixer
When choosing a mixer, the most important items to evaluate are the capacity, power, and accessories supplied, along with the functions and cooking modes.
Compared to the traditional mixer (less versatile because it does not have interchangeable accessories), the planetary mixer contains more functions and the choice depends on the type of recipes you want to prepare.
Let’s examine in detail the characteristics to consider to understand how to choose according to your needs.
The term capacity refers to the capacity of the container in which the dough will be processed. The mixer for domestic use on the market today have a capacity ranging from 02.03 liters 05.04 liters to.
If the preparations are generally for a maximum of 4-6 people, we recommend choosing a mixer with a 2.5 liter container. While, on the other hand, this appliance will be used often even for larger quantities, we recommend that you focus on one with a planetary mix and with a capacity of 4-5 liters.
The second factor to consider is the power of the mixer , or the power of the motor, expressed in watts.
A good quality mixer should have at least 325 watts of power to effectively mix any type of dough, from the simplest to the most complex.
If the model has too low power, there is a risk of not being able to use it for all types of mass, you could even burn the engine if you force it too much.
In general, an adequate power corresponds to an excellent speed of the machine , essential for the preparation of mixtures, even very solid ones; In this way, preparing a pizza in a professional way will be simple and fast.
When choosing the mixer, it is useful to also consider the rest function , an option that allows us to interrupt the work at any time, in case we face an unexpected mishap.
Today there are 1000 or 1200 watt mixers on the market, although there are basic models that are around 500-600 watts.
However, it is important to remember that the consumption of this type of machine , that is, the current consumption of the machine, does not correspond to the efficiency of the machine or its power.
Very often there is confusion between the two factors , but it is good to remember that they are not always comparable, in fact, it is to be expected that an efficient model will have a higher performance than consumption. Only in this case is it a truly efficient machine that should be considered during the purchase phase.
A modern mixer is equipped with all the necessary accessories to work different types of dough .
In particular, we find already included in the best planetary mixers, also among the economic models, three interchangeable utensils to join the mechanical arm .
Each of these utensils is specifically designed to work on specific compounds. Let’s see in detail:
- Dough hook: to be used for harder compounds and sourdoughs such as bread or pizza.
- Rod whisk : Also called a wire whisk or balloon whisk because of its shape. It is used particularly for confectionery preparations, with light or liquid compounds. It is ideal, for example, for whipping cream or egg whites.
- K beater : also called flat beater or sheet beater. It is used for soft doughs, to mix compounds such as shortcrust dough, minced meat or mashed potatoes.
Some high-end accessories are not lacking in the high-end models , such as a food processor, ice cream maker accessory, pasta cutter and much more. Thanks to these options, the mixer will become a true kitchen robot .
When choosing, we recommend making an evaluation first based on the basic functions, that is, knead, whisk and mix.
For most of the mixers it is also possible to buy more accessories compatible with our model, depending on the needs that arise.
When choosing a good quality mixer, it is good practice to check for the presence of the controlled speed regulation function .
It is essential to set the potentiometer and timer to a low starting speed and gradually increase it throughout the shake or mix of the preparation to obtain a quality compound.
On the market there are models available in the one or two speed version, in 220 or 400 volts , to work the hard and soft dough without difficulty.
Some of the best planetary mixers, in addition to the kneading function, also offer a cooking function, thanks to the integrated resistance to heat the ingredients in the bowl.
It is a fundamental function for those who love to dedicate themselves to pastry , useful for some preparations that generally require cooking in a double boiler, for example, melting chocolate. Although not only used for that, being able to cook the ingredients in the blender is also useful for savory preparations and the more advanced models allow you to select the temperature with high precision.
Handling a variety of pots and pans will be almost superfluous thanks to the use of this appliance, which can replace a large number of kitchen utensils and greatly simplify work.
This will save time without sacrificing quality – just pop in your ingredients and the mixer will take care of the rest.
Another factor to consider is the position of the motor, which varies, as well as from one brand to another, also depending on the structure and weight of the mixer.
If, for example, the appliance is not very heavy, its motor should be located in the lower part of the mixer frame, for greater stability and safety, thus avoiding excessive work on the mixing utensils .
It is important to avoid excessive effort that compromises the operation of the dough hook.
Weight and materials used
Weight varies depending on the power and capacity of the mixer. In general, it is preferable to choose a solid and robust mixer to guarantee resistance and stability to the effort due to the strong tractions caused by the harder dough’s
In terms of materials, it is advisable to opt for stainless steel compared to plastic, as it is more resistant, durable and easy to wash in the dishwasher.
After analyzing the technical characteristics of the planetary mixer , let’s move on to the design of this appliance, which should be adapted to the style of the kitchen. There are many models on the market.
For example, Kenwood Mixer combine contemporary styling and innovative materials like die-cast aluminum, without neglecting power and reliability.
Do not miss the planetary mixers inspired by the 50s , such as the KitchenAid planetary mixers , with their metal body and therefore also extremely reliable. And of course you could certainly mention the KitchenAid Artisan , in its bright red color.
The best 2021 mixers to buy
Below is a list of the best planetary mixers selected for their value for money with technical characteristics and prices.
Kenwood KMC011 5 Quart Chef Titanium Kitchen Machine
- European-designed motor with twice the power of ordinary stand mixers delivers the right amount of torque and handles the heaviest dough loads. Dual Motor Ventilation prolongs motor life.
- Kenwood’s electronic variable speed control allows ingredients to gradually incorporate before mixing them at high speeds, so they stay in the bowl and not on your countertop.
- Four built-in speed hubs allow you to add Kenwood attachments
- 5QT solid stainless steel work bowl with rugged handles, easy to remove from the machine. dishwasher safe (along with all the tools)
- Includes 3 professional-quality, stainless steel bowl tools: power whisk, dough hook , the unique K-Beater (specially designed for maximum mixing performance)
The best Kenwood KMC011 5 Quart Chef Titanium Kitchen Machine, the top of the range among modern planetariums and unsurprisingly one of the most widely used appliances even in kitchen TV broadcasts. It cooks, kneads, mixes and can be customized with more than 25 accessories, it has a stainless steel container with a handle, 6 different speeds and 24 automatic professional programs. For those who want to make professional dough’s and advanced functions, it is the best option and the most recommended.
- 350 watts
- 12-Speed control
- Locking tilt head
- 4. 5 quart capacity Stainless steel bowl with handles
- Includes stainless steel whisk, non-stick beater, dough hook and splash guard
KLARSTEIN Bella Argentea Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
- KITCHEN – PRO: The Klarstein Bella Argentea is the perfect kitchen helper -with a quiet transmission it consistently delivers outstounding results.
- POWER: The mixer is powered by a 650 Watt engine with a planetary stirring system.
- VERSATILE: A quick-clamping system allows you to easily change the machines function. Go from kneading pizza dough to the stirring hook for soup or cream at a moments notice.
- PERFORMANCE: Kneading, pureeing, beating, mixing. Do it all with the mixer’s 6 performance levels. Different speeds for different occasions.
- EASY: Smart design allows the the mixing arm to be folded up for easy access to the bowl, hooks or whisks. While suction feet on the bottom guarantee a strong and stable position during usage.
KitchenAid KSM180QHSD Queen of Hearts Stand Mixer, Passion Red
- Passion red embodies the energy, strength and passion to create possibility in the kitchen
- Passion-inspired trim band with hundreds of miniature red hearts, sleek chrome accents and a custom chrome power hub cover celebrating 100 years of the KitchenAid brand
- 5 quart stainless steel bowl with handle to mix up to 9 dozen cookies in a single batch
- 10 Speeds, powerful enough for nearly any task or recipe
- Over 14 different attachments available to make everything from fresh pasta to burgers, veggie noodles and more
- Tilt-head design for clear access to the bowl to add ingredients for a recipe
- 59 Touch points around the bowl ensure that all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated
- Includes (1) coated flat beater, (1) coated c-dough hook, (1) 6-wire whip (1) one-piece pouring shield
Also checkout: 4 Top rated queen murphy beds